The remains of the school is located in Al-Mo'iz Ledeen Ellah Street at the well-known area called "Bein el Qasrein" in front of Sultan Qalawoon Complex. It was built on parts of the large Fatimid Eastern Palace during the period 660-662 H\ 1262-1263 AD by Al-ZahirBaybars, one of the Bahriyya Mamelukes. The name of Baybars sparked for his great role in al-Mansoura battle against the French during the Crusaders invasion of Egypt, the Levant and then in Ain Jalut battle between Muslims and the Mongols and Tatars. After becoming the Sultan, he was titled Al-Qaher then the title was changed into Al-Zahir. He died in 676H, and was buried at Damascus.
The school consisted of a middle court and four Iwans for teaching Ash-shafi'y and Hanafyscools, the seven readings, and Hadith. The school had a huge library, beside it there was a Kuttab for Muslim orphans for holy Quran memorizing. Sultan Baybars endowed for the school a quarter lying outside of Bab Zueila ,which is known by Taht El-Rab'. Now, nothing remains from the school except the right part of its entrance, a room to its southeast and a part of the southwest Iwan after the opening of Bayt Al-Kady Street in 1874 AD at the era of Khedive Esmail, and the collapsing of its minaret in 1882AD.
The school is characterized with the blazon of Beber on the two Tympanums of the two windows of the school. The blazon is for Sultan Baybars which illustrates his name which means leopard in Turkish language. The door of the school which is covered by copper and bronze still exists at the French Consulate at Giza after it was removed by the Count Saint Mores.