The remains of the school is located in Al-Mo'iz Ledeen Ellah Street at the well-known area called "Bein el Qasrein" in front ofBashtak Palace. It was constructed on parts of the Grand Fatimid Eastern Palace. Its first founder is Sultan al-Malek Al-KamelNaser Al-Deen Mohammad Ibn Al-Malik Al-Adel Abu Bakr Ibn Ayuob in 622 H\1225 AD. The second founder is Prince Hasan KatkhudaMostahfazanAsha'rawy, one of the important officials in Egypt during the reign of Governor Mohammad Amin Pasha in the Ottoman Period in Egypt.
Al-Malik Al-Kamel built this school for studying Hadith, then for Ashaf'ei school Imams, and he endowed a close district for it. The school consists of a middle court with two perpendicular Iwans and on both sides there are rooms for students. The school was getting completely destructed until Prince Hassan Katkhuda at the Ottoman Era 1166H\1752AD used the space of the ruined southeast Iwan and built a small hanging mosque there. The remaining part of the Ayyubid School now is the northwest Iwan and an air catcherand the plan of the students' rooms. Some of the stucco frame decorations of these rooms are kept in the Museum of Islamic Art in Cairo, as well as part of the prayer Iwan arch.
The ottoman hanging mosque on the other hand, is built on a number of stores which overlook the façade. The building has an entrance with simple trefoil arch and the entrance is surmounted by a lintel with inscription of an ottoman innovation text and over it an arch of ottoman faience tiles.