This Palace was built in 1834 during the Mohammed Ali Dynasty who commissioned foreign engineers in its construction, the palace took 11 years to be built, and it was officially opened in 1847.
The Palace was built on the European style which was very common in that time in Alexandria, it takes the shape of a fortress and was built in the place of the fig trees (tin in Arabic), and that is where the name came from.Only the door and entrance remained from the old palace then theywere integrated with the new palace which was reconstructed by King Fouad on a style coping with the age by the Italian engineer Ernesto Verrucci-Bey, thus becoming similar to Abdeen Palace.
The palace has many entrances, the most important of them is number 1 because it remained from the older palace, it is known as the eastern door. This entrance consists of six granite columns topped with crowns holding copper thresholds decorated with Quran verses. The thresholds are based from the sides on twolions statues with a marble block at the center that is decorated with the shapes of birds, shields and two eagles facing each other.
The second entrance is subsidiary and is locatednext to the new mosque. There is another entrance leading to the inside of thepalace's buildings from the sea side. A fourth gate entrance lies at the end of the enclosure wall of the palaceand it leads to the marine command.The palace contains many buildings surrounded by an enclosure wall. Those buildings are the Palace building which includes the main floor, the middle floor, the guest suite, the media suite, the princesses' building, the glass passages that connect the Palace with the princesses' building and the modern mosque in front of the main façade of the palace.The annexes on the other hand are the railway station, the port overlooking the back façade. There are two modern buildings; Al Barqi mosque and the presidential building as well as a number of distinguished halls.
The annexes of the Palace are the princesses' building which consists of a ground floor and two upper floors, a railway station rest, Al Barqi mosque with its simple architecture suggesting that it is only a praying corner. The modern entrance of the mosque is decorated by Quran verses and a piece of a red cloth embroidered with a white text saying: "this is the shrine of Sidi AL –ArafBellah Al Barqi 1314 H."